Saturday, December 19, 2009

Fast Forward Five Months


For all of my best intentions, I haven't been able to keep up with the blog during the past few crazy months. So, I will have to summarize...
Let's see, since my first posting, I went back to work with Riley in tow, packed up our home in SD and found nice renters to take care of it, traveled across the plains, Midwest and east coast with Riley and Bauer in tow, returned to SD to pick up TJ after deployment, moved to our new assignment, traveled for Thanksgiving and settled into a new home. It's been a tumultuous few months to say the least. As I sit here typing, Riley is sitting up in her Bumbo chair, whacking away on her laptop computer and making great grunting, breathing and "bluuuu, blaaah, blaaah noises." She's changed so much in the first six months of life that I just can't stand it. At every stage, I want her to stop growing and stay exactly like she is. It's funny how I can already "miss" the old days, but I do already feel a longing for the times when she would get a nice full belly and fall asleep over my shoulder in the rocking chair. Sure there are plenty of new moments and memories to make each day, but the fact is, I'm acutely aware that when I wasn't looking, my newborn became my infant. Soon, my infant will become my toddler, and so the process continues in a frighteningly warp speed manner. It's a daily reminder that life is short and every second counts. She challenges me to live in the moment and not where I want to be a day, month, or year from now. Potent stuff these little creatures teach without saying a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment